VASCD actively promotes public policy that reflects best educational practice and addresses the needs of modern learners.
If you would like to be a member of our public policy team, there are opportunities for you! Contact Laurie McCullough at email@example.com
VASCD promotes decisions and policies that reflect “autonomy with integrity”, our belief in the abilities of educators to make sound decisions regarding teaching and learning. Read about autonomy with integrity- what it is and why it matters- here.
VASCD’s Policy Priorities guide our advocacy work with policymakers at the Virginia Board of Education, in the General Assembly. we also work to ensure they are reflected in our work with other associations and groups, such as the Virginia Public Education Coalition.
For 2020, our policy Priorities are:
(1) Outstanding Teachers for Virginia’s Students;
(2) Personalized Learning Opportunities for Educators; and
(3) Modernizing Virginia’s Assessment System.
VASCD has four priorities, listed below, which guide our thinking about policy and our advocacy efforts. Click the link at the end to read the specific policy positions for the current year, which recommend actions related to current proposals.
1. VASCD supports balanced and comprehensive assessment/accountability systems to measure student success, educator effectiveness, and school quality.
2. VASCD recognizes that schools must equip students for success in a world in which each citizen is called upon to navigate and impact technological, societal, economic, informational, and demographic issues.
3. VASCD supports a whole child approach to education. We believe that schools, communities, families, and policymakers share a responsibility to ensure that students are healthy, academically challenged, and highly engaged in learning within safe and supportive school environments.
4. VASCD supports educational policy decisions that are grounded in the best available evidence, so that the implementation of policy and the expenditure of resources result in meaningful outcomes for and significant benefits to students.
VASCD is also a member of the Virginia Public Education Coalition, which released a position brief in May 2017. Read the Coalition’s positions here.